Update: 2012-10-06 Upgrading to a 040 board – A3640 v3.2
Today postman Pat brought me an A3640 card, which i purchased at Amibay.com.
After installing this i noticed that the board is working well and give me the expected result on the SysInfo scores.
However when i connect a CDROM/ZIP drive on the second port of the ’4-device IDE interface’, using IDEfix’97, the machine doesn’t boot. When i have the A3630 (030/25Mhz) board installed every drive is accessible and working however while using the A3640 the system doesn’t boot, not even into early startup but displays a dark grey screen.
I disconnected the PORT 1 drives and the system boots, using the A3640 CPU board, again. So it seems that something is wrong while accessing the port 1 devices while the A3640 040/25 CPU card is installed. The system even doesn’t boot when the cable is connected to port 1 without any drives. Removing the standard manufactured 40wires/pin IDE cable from the 4-devices IDE interface renders in a booting A4000, i am clueless!
I just can’t figure out what so i need some help on this one.
[SOLVED] The PIO2 modification prevented to use a secondary device on the bus. This also prevented me from using the 4-way interface as intended. After *upgrading* to the stock GALs, located on the mainboard as U901 and U902, everything worked just fine. The ZIP drive is detected and i can add more devices to the 4-way IDE PCB.
The current setup is:
- Rev. B board
- Kickstart 3.0 ROMs
PIO mode2 GALs
- Buster 11 soldered to board
- U104: 50MHz crystal (Kyocera KXO-01-1 50.000MHz)
- J100: both jumpers 1-2 = EXT (when A3640-040/25MHz is installed)
- J100: both jumpers 2-3 = INT (when A3630-030/25MHz is installed)
- J151: ROMspeed = 200
- J850: 68020 = open
A3630/A3200/A3400 030/25MHz CPU card
- 68020/030 board Rev 1.0
- CPU: MC68EC030FE25B
- J103: no jumper pins
- J100: closed
- right next to J100: open
- J101: closed
- GX B-VO 9328
A3640 040/35MHz CPU card
- rev 3.2
- CPU: XC68040HRC25M
- DOC-70 50.000MHz crystal on DIL socket
- J100 top left: 1-2 Closed (Cache on startup enabled)
- J100 top left: 3-4 Closed (MMU on startup enabled)
- J100 next to chystal: Closed – (Do not remove)
- J400: 1-2 Closed (MAPROM Enabled)
- GX B-VO 9535
4-device IDE interface from AmigaKit.com
- Port 0/master: Trancend 40-pin IDE Flash Module TS2GPTM510-40V
- Port 1/master: NEC ND-1300a DVD/CD-Rewritable Drive
- Port 1/slave: IOMEGA ZIP100 ATAPI drive
Never use these PIO2 reprogrammed GALs if you like multi device compatibility: